Where to start?
At the beginning, of course.
Early in August... OK, maybe the second week in August we went to an event where we vended and that show went good. The show was supposed to be as much vacation as it was show and that's about how it turned out. We even got to try out our new camp trailer! A lot of fun!
However, there was a price to be paid for the fun and success at that show and I came home, packed to leave for yet another show and upon arriving at the other show I found I was far to sick to work the booth. Packed everything back up and went home, living on a diet of Dayquil and Theraflu... ouch.
Meanwhile, I had applied for a job. I love the storefront and the shows and the wool and the spinning and weaving, but at this early stage of the game, they aren't paying all of the bills and my unemployment was running out...
Early in September, then, having not heard back from the place I applied to, I packed again and went to Midway, Utah, for the Back of the Wasatch Fiber Festival, Soldier Hollow Sheepdog Classic, and Highland Games. I must say that the drive was worth it, the venue was wonderful and the show was a success... I even had enough participants in my beginning spindle spinning class to make that worthwhile and most of the students came back the next day to say thank you and show me what they had accomplished... which was a surprising amount... another group enabled!!! Furthermore, the show was a success financially and I have every intention of returning next year.
The drive back home was just as wonderful, but there were nagging doubts plaguing me... nibbling at the corners of my mind. If I did not hear from the place I had applied I would call to touch base, but how, with my unemployment running low, would I handle rejection. I began to look through newspapers again looking for more help wanted ads, but the pickings in our area are slim and the pickings wanting my skill set were non-existent. The follow-up call to the potential new employer was brief amounting to "we're going to make a decision any day now and we'll call you. That was a week ago.
I've been putting off calling again and watching the mail box for the dreaded rejection letter.
But then this morning, a call came and I have the job and start tomorrow. 8 a.m.
Of course I greeted this news with a rush of emotions... Hurrah, I got the job! Damn, I got the job! I guess I was hoping that the store would, at the last minute, fly rather than stumbling along.
This does not mean that the store is closing! It means that the store is changing. We are now open by appointment (or accident - if someone stops by and we're here, then we're open). The web presence will be continued and we'll still accept and ship orders.